Free Delivery on orders over €50 - Click & Collect in store
April 22, 2018
Today, the 22nd of April, is Earth Day. It is a day of political action and civic participation. People march, sign petitions, meet with their elected officials, plant trees, clean up their towns and roads. Corporations and governments use it to make pledges and announce sustainability measures. Faith leaders, including Pope Francis, connect Earth Day with protecting God’s greatest creations, humans, biodiversity and the planet that we all live on.
The campaign for Earth Day 2018 is about plastic pollution. I was horrified to read earlier this year that straws are a major problem in terms of pollution. I have swapped to paper straws and I only give them out if asked for and I have a few things I want to do in the coming months like to reduce the use of cling film and tin foil by changing them for recycled or reusable packaging.
In today's consumer world Money is a vote which you can use every time you go shopping. By using your spending power positively you can help in the struggle towards a better world.
It's not always as straight forward as it seems. Small, everyday purchases, such as coffee, tea, bread or bin-bags are a vote for something. Favouring local is a vote for investing in your community and Irish made is also environmentally friendly with a smaller carbon footprint, organic produce is a vote for environmental sustainability and fair-trade is a vote for human rights.
In my business I make as many ethical decisions as I can. I try and use ethical and green suppliers. It's not always the most convenient or the cheapest but I decided it was an important step in the right direction for my business. Here are my top 10 products that not only will you be buying ethically but you will have a wonderful product or gift.
1) Palm Oil Free SoapThis is not by accident that it is number one on the list. There are so many great reasons to buy aside from the fact that they are fabulous soaps. Palm Oil free, its damage to the rain forests is zero, its all natural ingredients, not tested on animals, has no plastic packaging and is handmade in Ireland. Check out our range here
2) Foir UisceWe love this is from Mayo and this Irish Water is bottled at source in recyclable handsomely labelled glass bottles.
3) Lilys Eco Clean We not only use but we also sell this Irish made range of high quality household cleaning products which are human, animal and environmentally friendly.
4) Autentico PaintsAutentico Vintage Chalk Based Paints are great for up cycling and giving new life to and old piece to keep it from the landfill. They are waterbased, free of solvents and other harmfull additives (VOC low) and can even be used in situations where anti allergic and anti bacterial features are paramount. And currently with money off there has never been a batter time to try it.
5) Spiral NotebooksI love a note book and these 100% recycled spiral bound have 80 plain sheets in assorted colours. We love the designs on the front (sheep, cow, goat or bog cotton), and MADE IN IRELAND they come in all different sizes with a fabulous price tag.
6) Handmade Fair-trade Leather SatchelOne of our long standing products our range of leather goods are handmade by small family businesses, community incentives, charities and accredited Fair Trade organisations as set out by the World Fair Trade Organisation. And they will soon be available to buy on our website.
7) Local Framed PhotosThese local scenes come in a trio or a quintet but best of all the driftwood frames are ethically sourced and made from sustainable wood.
8) Driftwood BoatsKeeping with the driftwood theme these boats are made out of 100% recycled materials.
9) A coffee to have in or go
Not all coffees are the same - our take away coffee doesn't cost the earth as much as other places. You can find out more here in one of our old blogs. https://lunasa.co/blogs/news/whats-in-a-coffee
10) And finally....Our last item isn't a product you can purchase but you can take home your purchase knowing that the bag we give you is made in Ireland from FSC certified papers meaning they have been sourced in an environmentally-friendly, socially responsible and economically viable manner.
For more information on Earth Day go to the web page www.earthday.org
Comments will be approved before showing up.
June 04, 2020
March 01, 2020
December 19, 2019
We know we are very fortunate to be able to bring this kind of happiness to other people and we hope that you all have a wonderful Christmas filled with peace and love.