Free Delivery to Ireland on orders over €50 - Click & Collect in store
June 04, 2020
If ever there was a year to stop and look around us 2020 is defiantly that year.
Swine Flu, Ebola, Zika and now Corna-Virus it fells like the world has been bouncing from one pandemic or epidemic. If we had stopped we would probably have realised that it was just a matter of time before something of this scale came.
So as we’ve been forced to reconnect with the world around us what do we see. Are we happy with the fruits of our labour. We’ve spent decades stripping the earth, polluting the oceans and clogging the skies. Unfortunately, humans have not been very good stewards of the Earth over the years.
I can’t help but wonder if the spell of good weather is the effect of the drastic drop in pollution as our plans are grounded and our car stay home. Healthy ecosystems clean our water, purify our air, maintain our soil, regulate the climate, recycle nutrients and provide us with food. They provide raw materials and resources for medicines and other purposes.
World Environment Day is the United Nations day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action to protect our environment.
This year, World Environment Day 2020 is “Celebrate Biodiversity”. “With 1 million species facing extinction, there has never been a more important time to focus on biodiversity.” The theme ‘Time for Nature,' gives a focus on its role in providing the essential infrastructure that supports life on Earth and human development.
The significance of involving children in environmental sustainability efforts is widely acknowledged and we all need to take proactive steps toward cleaner living habits. Choosing to shop at Lúnasa is choice that won’t cost the earth. Here are the 5 ways you can raise your voice and make different choices and how we make it easier for you.
1. Consume less - When you refuse, you say "no," which is not always easy. Freebies at events, cheap goods on clearance, the hot new children's toys or the latest gadgets that promise to make your life better—none of these are essential. And while they could make us a quick buck we say no so you don’t have to! We have skilled artisans who create pieces that last a lifetime.
2. Buy local - it’s important to think about the path your stuff takes just to get to you. We make it easy for you to buy from local artists, clothing makers, and retailers before you click for that two-day shipping.
3. Choose reusable over single-use - we don’t just follow trends we are ahead of the curve. Plastic straws were removed from our Tea Room over 3 years ago and we stopped selling all drinks in plastic bottles. All that single-use plastic has to go somewhere, and it’s had a devastating effect on our soil, oceans and marine life. Not only that we are the place that sources business that are using those pplasicr for good and repurposing it.
4. Upcycle more - our environmentally friendly Autentico paint lets you breath new life into old furniture without creating waste. We reuse and up-cycle, buy secondhand and we get creative with your useless or unwanted items.
5. Use your purchasing power for good - Think of your money as your voice and your vote. Spend it wisely on goods, services and experiences that leave a smaller carbon footprint and choose to do business with companies that support sustainability and people. A Fair wage for a Fair Trade.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 01, 2023
August 11, 2023
July 15, 2023